After attending introductory-level media skills training delegates are able to:
- recognise a media interview as an opportunity to promote your agenda;
- understand what the news media want and how journalists approach interviews;
- prepare effectively for interviews at short notice and, if necessary, without support;
- define the purpose for each interview, setting out clear, concise and effective messages, anticipating likely questions and identifying the right lines-to-take;
- project a positive and confident image;
- apply key skills and techniques to control the direction of the interview and deliver strong key messages to achieve maximum impact;
- identify and deal with potentially contentious issues and media traps.